Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Camões - Poem about love


Noémia, the portuguese teacher of our students Said:

"My first contribution to the theme it's a poem, and about love - what else? Poet? Camões – he leaved in the XVI century, but he knew and experimented all you can get from life and love!

In English:
Let Love devise new ways, new wiles
to kill me, and new forms of disdain;
he´ll take away no hope of mine,
since he can´t take what I don´t have.

Look at the hopes that hold me up!
See how precarious my defenses!
For I, not fearing reverses or changes,
am tossed by the sea, having lost my ship.

Though disappointment can´t exist
where there´s no hope, there Love has hidden
a bane that kills and remains unseen,

for he placed in my soul some time ago
I don´t know what, nor where it was born,
nor how it got there, nor why it aches."


1 comment:

Maria Sourgiadaki said...

Hopeless love, unfulfilled dreams and expectations... pain... disappointment... sadness... But still inspiring...
How can love-eros lead us to such feelings? How are emotions and logic connected? Are they?
A student, a girl, 15 years-old, expressed in facebook her deep sadness and the desire to give an end to her life, because of a "broken heart", a hopeless love...
How can she overcome these feelings?